Wednesday 15 February 2012

Tea, Coffee or me?


One of the questions I am often asked is how and why I am in the business of Tea.

Back in my college years and up until a few years ago, I was drinking 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day (and at night). I could not function without it. One sip and all is well in the world again.

A couple of years ago, I was beginning to get all sorts of immune related health problems. I had skin allergies on my face and body, I was really stressed at work and could only focus a short period of time. After many unsuccessful trips to the doctor and dermatologist, I decided to see a nutritionist. She suggested I minimise my coffee intake as she believes the caffeine could be over stimulating my nervous system. I told her Tea was boring, so she took me to an asian tea shop and introduced me to all the variety that is available in the market.

And that is when my love affair with Tea started.

According to Wiki, Caffeine is a central nervous system and metabolic stimulant. It produces increased wakefulness, increased focus and better general body coordination. It's like zapping your body and brain full of energy, like a toy with a new energizer battery.

Stephen Cherniske, the author of the book Caffeine Blues explains your body's perspective of this constant state: "Imagine you lived in a country that was always underthreat of attack. No matter where you went, there was a perpetual state of alert. Not only that, but your defenses were constantly being depleted and weakened. Within five minutes after you drink your morning coffee, the caffeine begins to stimulate your central nervous system, triggering the release of stress hormones in your body causing a stress (fight or flight ) response. The stress hormones are useful if you need to prepare yourself to fight or flee a dangerous situation, but if you are simply sitting at your desk you may feel a short charge of alertness, quickly followed by feelings of agitation. Within the next hour or so, after the stress response dissipates you will feel more tired and hungry.'


Our body and brain cannot operate like this for an extended period of time. After prolonged 'caffeinism' your body enters a state of adrenal exhaustion and stress.

Decrease your intake, and try healthier alternatives instead. It has done wonders for me. Now don't get me wrong, I still have my occassional coffee although now adays I try to stick to decaf.

I guess the key to everything is moderation. :)

www.teassert.com.au 

No comments:

Post a Comment